24. jul. 2011

Letter Challenge Day 6

A letter to a stranger
Dear stranger
I saw you on the train once. You are an elderly man. At least 70 is my guess. You were shaking. Your hands were so unsteady. You were looking out the window - you looked kinda lonely actually. You looked at me and I smiled. You smiled back, but didn't notice that I kept looking at you. Observing you. You had an old FjällRäven bag, which you had a hard time getting from the floor onto your lap. You clearly had trouble with your back. You reached into your bag, and found a Rittersport. The squared chocolate bar. It was the one with nougat - one of my personal favorites actually.
The chocolate had already been opened, and only the half was left. You cracked the chocolate into smaller pieces, and took one out of the rapping. With your large fingers and shaky hands, you put the chocolate piece to your mouth, but you dropped it. You dropped the piece into your lap. That almost made me cry. But you didn't seem to mind it. As if it had happened a couple of times before. You picked up the chocolate, and put it in your mouth despite your shaky hands. A smile spread on your face. Just a little smile, one you barely notice. I could clearly see that you took your time to enjoy the sweet soft piece of chocolate. I knew then, that I shouldn't feel sad for you. You didn't want sympathy, cause you were still able to live.
I saw a sort of courage in this scenario. You looked like one of those old guys who wouldn't let people help you, unless you'd become completely disable.
I admired that. I felt like hugging you. I don't know why..
You looked like the lovely grandpa type. Both of my grandfathers died before I was 8 years of age. But I think I'd be honored to have a grandpa like you.

I don't know if you're dead by now.. But a man who loves life so much that he takes time to enjoy every little piece of chocolate, and with the courage I saw a trace of? I don't think so.

Sincerely
Kiri Rehmeier, a stranger you once smiled at on the train.

1 kommentar:

  1. Dette blogindlæg rørte noget i mig. Jeg har det fuldstændig på samme måde, hvis sådan noget sker! Får på en måde ondt af personen. Får det også sådan, hvis jeg ser en rigtig overvægtig person spise en Snickers eller Mc Donaldsmad.

    SvarSlet